Saturday, December 31, 2005

2005-2006

Goodbye, 2005!!

Welcome, 2006!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
happy new year, everyone!!


Lola, Itoy and I have just finished our New Year ’s Day dinner. I am so full. I have eaten a lot. Before eating, we welcomed the New Year with a prayer led by my lola. I miss my daddy. I wish he were here. I also miss spending the New Year with my mom, my siblings and my cousins. These past few years, I have spent the New Year with only my lola, sometimes also with Itoy. I miss having to spend it with many people. The last New Year I spent in Cavite was in 2000.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
i miss spending my new year with these guys!!


Anyways, 2005 is so gone. Well at least in this part of the world. So many things have happened this past year- some bad, some awesome. Who could forget the supposed wiretapped conversation allegedly between PGMA and former COMELEC Commissioner Garci that rocked the administration and the foundations of our laws? I guess PGMA is so glad 2005 is over. Other key personalities in politics? Congressman Francis Escudero and Susan Rocess led the opposition in their attempt to bring down PGMA. They got help from former Arroyo allies like the Hyatt 10, former President Cory Aquino, and some members of the Liberal Party. But amid all these, the Filipino people proved to be resilient. We managed to do well in 2005. The Philippine Peso is considered as the best-performing currency in Asia. Thanks to the help of OFW’s. Thank you, daddy!! Many Filipinos also made waves abroad. Lara Quigaman was named Ms. International. After losing to Eric Morales in the beginning of the year, Manny Pacquiao rebounded by winning his second bout. The Morales- Pacquiao rematch is slated January 2006.

The big news abroad? Hurricane Katrina devastated some parts of the United States. Iraqis voted for their first parliament after the regime of Hussein was toppled down.

In sports, the biggest news is undoubtedly the triumph of the Filipino athletes and the Filipino people in the 23rd Southeast Asian Games held here in the Philippines. The Philippines bagged its 1st over-all championship in the biennial meet. 2007’s host Thailand placed 2nd while 2003’s host Vietnam was 3rd. The SEA Games was not spared from controversy after Thai PM Thaksin Shinawatra accused that the there was cheating that happened in some of the games. He later apologized for his ridiculous comments. Brat!! Speaking of controversies, this year, DLSU admitted that it fielded 2 ineligible players- Mark Benitez and Tim Gatchalian- in its Men’s Basketball squad. Different measures have been taken by the school and its officials. But the case is far from being solved.

In entertainment, 2005 saw the comeback of diva Mariah Carey. Thanks to her latest album containing the smash hits It’s like that, We belong together and Shake it off, Mariah’s fans and even some haters began to love her again. Hollywood couples Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston, and Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey got separated. In the local scene, OPM bands shone the brightest this year with bands Hale, Sponge Cola, Sugarfree, Orange and Lemons, Bamboo, Parokya ni Edgar and Rivermaya creating the biggest waves.

My favorite movies of 2005? Locally- produced Nasaan Ka Man and Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros, and International hits Star Wars 3: the Revenge of the Sith and Peter Jackson’s take on King Kong. Pinoy Big Brother was also a big hit in the Philippines.

But the biggest event of 2005? You guessed it, I turned 18!! Haha!!

I am wishing everyone a blessed, safe and happy 2006!! Sana lahat tayo maging masaya sa taon na ito.

Happy 2006, everyone!!

Go find your princes while I play with frogs. God bless us all!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home