Sunday, December 04, 2005

Blossoming- pagdadalaga. Ano naman ang pagbibinata?

***Maxi’s Blossoming***
Yesterday, Ian, Emil, Emil’s gay friend Trisha and I watched Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros at SM Manila.


Maxi and his beloved kuya Victor


The story follows the life of young Maxi played by Nathan Lopez who lives with his crooked father and older brothers in the shanty. One night after playing beauty contest with his other gay friends, Maxi was almost harassed by two teenagers on one dark alley if not for his knight in shining armor, Victor- a cop who saved him from the hands of his aggressors.

Maxi learns to love the goodlooking cop played by JR Valentin. But his father disproves of Maxi’s feelings because the cop is an obstacle to their corrupt but thriving business. Things got more complicated when Maxi’s eldest brother killed a 16-year-old boy.

In the end, Maxi’s father dies and the former learns to forego his admiration for the cop.

All in all, the story was very beautiful. You get to relive the feeling of how it is to fall in love for the first time. You laugh with Maxi and sympathize with him as well. Although his father and his brothers are criminals, you just adore them- they are, in many ways, better than other families. They pray before they eat. They watch movies together. Most importantly, they love Maxi. They do not treat Maxi badly because he is gay. They love his being gay. They treat him like a real girl.

But just like any other digital videos, Pagdadalaga’s weak points can be attributed to its technical aspects- cinematography, editing and the other works.

Other than that, Pagdadalaga is a movie worth your time and your money.

My favorite scenes in the movie are the beauty contest scene and the day Maxi learned to let go of his feelings for his kuya Victor and ignores him on his way to school.

***Ivan’s Blossoming***

I have let go oh him. I guess it is really pointless to enter a relationship because you don’t want to hurt that person and not because you love him. There are several reasons why I decided to just be friends with him and not take it on to the next level: one, I really do not love him. The last time I got into a relationship with someone I do not love, I ended up getting cheated. The nerve; Two, he was always late each time we would see each other. He always has reasons; three, I got attracted to one of his friends the first time I saw him; Four, there was another man whom I like better and could be loving right now; Finally, I am so busy with my studies.

His friend told me that he cried when I told him that we are just to remain friends. I do not know.
God only knows when my true prince charming would come. But for now, I have three choices- concentrate with my studies; continue looking for my prince charming; play with frogs.

Go find your princes while I play with frogs. God bless us all!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger sonoftheprodigal said...

I've seen it and it was truly wonderful. It was a different (and thank goodness, a positive) take on the theme of homosexuality.

I hope movie producers see this too to give them idea that we can really make quality films even without cashing in on the latest screen love pairs and the nauseating theme song -inspired movies.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home