Wednesday, March 16, 2005

What’s with worrying? Alliteration. I am a self-confessed worrier/hypochondriac/paranoid. But of course those terms apply in different situations. Thanks to my mom, and Mr. Webster, I have learned those plus the very “big” word for others- anxious and the oh-so constant in a student’s dictionary- procrastinator. The feeling of having to rush things lately was not exclusively mine. I am sure my classmates and other students on this side of the globe felt the same. We have to meet with deadlines. Whoever invented that term must feel guilty and sorry!! But as I penned the last word in the last page of my last test paper, I also painted a smile to my face- a sign of relief. Aside from our English research paper which is already for passing, I have no other things to think about. Goodbye wrinkles. Goodbye, additional blemishes. Goodbye, sleepless nights. I am sure my bed missed me. Well, the feeling is mutual. I think I faired well in all my exams. The Economics test was not that tough but I still think I could have done better. But there is one thing I am sure of- in all my exams, I did my best. My brain cells remain in a state of entropy after I squeezed them and tortured them to extract the answers to those questions.

I am sure right at this very moment, I am worry-free. But I sympathize with what the country has gone through the past 2 days. The siege in Bicutan has again put the Philippines in a bad light. Terrorism in the country continues to become a perennial concern in the Pearl of the Orient. Do not blame what happened just to those who attempted to jailbreak. Fingers must also be pointed to those who were supposed to be doing their jobs to prevent what had happened. That incident just showed the whole world how poor the penal system is in this 3rd world country. You can’t help but feel disappointed at the authorities especially now that there are reports that they were warned that what happened is a possibility because you know that preventive measures could have been applied. Now that the Camp Bagong Diwa is a just picture of a war zone, where will you place those other suspects or criminals? Will you just let them wander in the streets? Strategize for their next big “surprise”? Or place them in other jails where the prisoners are already dying because of claustrophobia? Last February, my classmates and I went to Bilibid. It was a memorable experience particularly the moment we entered the prison, the time when we were interacting with the prisoners and the instant when we were supposed to enter the maximum security level but heard gunshots and learned that there was a riot taking place. We have seen how the quarters of the prisoners in the medium security level was. It was not conducive to life. Imagine sharing a very small room with 7 other people. Consider the fact that summer is here. Oh please. Just do something. Increase the VAT rate. Go ahead. Do not debate. You are wasting your time and the people’s money. Just make sure that you are giving the Filipino’s money’s worth.

F**k!! Do something!!

That was all, folks. Thanx for being one with the fabulous epal. God bless us all!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home