Friday, November 10, 2006

basketball moves, moving forward, movies, moving on

This is going to be text heavy.

I am here stuck at home doing my sports magazine article while everyone’s partying at the free concert being held in the sports complex to celebrate the Tigers euphoric victory in Men’s Basketball. But I am not complaining. After all, I am not that ecstatic over the concert only that I am missing my chance to see the gorgeous vocalist of Callalily for the Nth time. But I am fine. There will be other chances. And who knows, we might just end up together? Kidding.

I am doing a feature on UST captain Allan Evangelista . Sobrang makwento siya kaninang umaga habang kinakausap ko siya pagkatapos nila magensayo. He gave me more than what I expected. He was an above average interview, actually.

I also got to see some of the Team B and reserved players practice. There were a few standouts. Of course, I already liked the Basa guy since the first time I saw him. He is also cute, by the way, except the hair. The Mirza guy also shows a lot of promise. He is tall and lanky, so as that tall American, white guy. There was also this short Caucasian-looking guy who plays really well. Scott is of course a very promising guy. I am pretty sure he will be fielded in next year as back-up for Japs and Jun. I also got to see Derick Hubalde. Hot!! It was also nice to see Warren play again.

***

UST has a new rector in Fr. Arceo. Many expect him to continue what Fr. Tamerlana Lana has done during the latter’s term. I expect him to do a good job.

UST ranked 500th in the world’s top universities according to a survey. I really think that UST deserved a higher ranking. Maybe the people, and some organizations, including the one that funded the survey was just used to UST being number 4 in the Philippines. But I disagree.

Fr. Arceo said in his inaugural speech that sometimes, people equate cheapness with low quality. True.

Good luck, Fr. Arceo. See you in my future interviews. I hope you won’t give me a hard time. Hehehe

***
My classes started last Tuesday. Out of our supposed 540 minutes of classes, we only spent 20 minutes. And that’s only during our final class.

Now that the classes have begun, I am going to miss what I used to do during the sembreak. Stay up until 5 or 6 A.M. and wake up late in the afternoon to do my writing chores.

I am also going to miss watching the vcd’s and dvd’s I rented at Video City.

During the Sembreak, I have seen quite a lot of movies. And here is their ranking:

1. Closer - stars Julia Roberts, Jude Law, Natalie Portman, Clive Owen. It is an amazing movie about chance encounters. The actors were all amazing. Portman and Owen won Golden Globes for best supporting actress and actor, respectively, for their performance. It was also nice to see Julia Roberts play a character that is outside of her comfort zone. She was the only one who did not show some amount of skin in the movie. I loved Owen’s and Roberts’ confrontation scene when she announced that she was cheating on him with Jude Law.

2. The Talent Mr. Ripley - stars Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law, and Cate Blanchett. The movie tells the tale of Tom Ripley, a poor nobody who went the extra mile just to be somebody—to the point of killing people who oppose him. The good thing about the movie was that it made me side with the bad guy which is Ripley. I wanted him to kill the people who were against his plans. Fine performances from all the above-mentioned cast including 2006 Oscar best actor Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

3. A Very Long Engagement - star Audrey Tautou and Ulliel _____. I have long been wanting to watch this movie. It showed in the Philippines, I think that was the same time when the Phantom of the Opera was also shown here. I did not get to see it because I was busy and I did not have enough money. Tautou was very effective. This is her movie. Ulliel is very hot. The whole ensemble also gave amazing performances including the girl who killed all the men that hurt her “Angel.” The story-telling and the cinematography were also superb.

4. Hostel - a very grotesque movie. Grabe. Yun nay un.

5. Cube 2: Hypercube - I got interested to watch this movie because I got to see the first one in a film showing back in high school. The movie is also grotesque, but the first one was wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than this.

6. Final Destination 3 - I liked the first one, and I liked the second one better. But this one is not as good as the first two. The first death scene was not as grotesque as the first two. The ensuing deaths were predictable. I kinda liked the female lead, very pretty. My favorite death was that of the two “hot chicks” in the tanning bed.

7. Bring it On 3 - I liked the first one, I did not really like the second one. But the third one? It is the worst among the three. It stars Solange Knowles, Beyonce’s younger sister, and a Britney Spears look-a-like, whose character is named Britney. The “villainess” was a Sarah Michelle Gellar dead-ringer. The script was baaaaaaaaaad. The guy who played the jock was fugly compared with the previous two. And what was Rihanna doing in the movie? Basta pangit talaga ‘yung pelikula!!

***

Today is our montsharry.

Tomorrow, I will break up with him.

“Muli na namang umihip sa akin ang hangin ng pag-iisa.”

Smile naman d’yan!! God bless us all!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home