Monday, November 13, 2006

18 + 1

Tomorrow, I’ll be turning 19. Time flies. One more year and I am no longer a teenager.

Being 18 was absolutely fun. But it has also taught me a lot of lessons.

18 memorable lessons I have learned as an 18-year-old:

1. Being 18 gave me lot of liberties. I can now watch R-18 movies in the cinemas without having to lie. I’ve also been guided with the same philosophy each time I go out. Hey, I am not covered by any curfew. I can stay late.

2. Although, I am already 18, my dad and my lola still think I am their soooooper young baby. The fact that other people worry about me instills in me the value of responsibility.

3. My parents really love me. They may have been separated for a long time now, and I may not be living with any one of them, but they never made me feel that they do not love me. And I actually knew this even before I hit 18.

4. I have not been part of the Dean’s list for a year now. And that sucks. But I have learned that being part of the dl is not the end-all, be-all of my being a student.

5. Sometimes, your friends in high school stay in high school. You just realize that you have less and less time to spend with them. Sometimes, no matter how badly you want to see each other, your plans to go out and bond just do not materialize.

6. Being part of Varsi is not as easy as being part of any other school paper; it is definitely tougher than being a member of your high school paper.

7. Being part of V requires a lot of things. It is very demanding. And coming up with the paper is not as easy as it seems—researching, interviewing, writing, revising, no sleeping. In short it is a labor of love.

8. There is life outside Varsi. Camilled told me so. And yeah, I feel it.

9. The Philippines is an extremely hot country. Miski tag-ulan, mainit.

10. Falling in love is fun and tricky. On my 18th year, I’ve been into two serious relationships on my 18th year. But the two lasted for just one month. I really loved my last ex. But hey, things won’t always go my way.

11. Sometimes, flirting is much more fun than falling in love. Because at least in flirting, you do not really risk your heart. In the past year, I cannot even remember how many flings I’ve had. I even stole some guy from his ex, only to tell him that I do not really love him. I am just interested.

12. Sex is definitely fun. I only tried doing it this year. Before I was just curious with how it felt. But now that I already how it feels like, I definitely enjoy it.
13. Some people think that I’ve become haughtier ever since I became part of V. The truth? I do not think that I’ve become haughty. I may now come across as someone who knows it all each time I correct some of my classmates’ works. But in all honesty, I don’t do it because I want to embarrass someone. I am not perfect, and I do not think I have any right to do it to anyone. I still have the same kayabangan I used to have before. It is just that I have learned so many things from V. So the next time you tell me I am mayabang, take a look at yourself first.

14. Feeling indifferent toward the people you do not like is definitely easier than hating them. At least you do not carry the burden of hatred in your heart.

15. Some people whom you consider your friends are not really your friends. At one point in your life, no matter how seemingly close you are to these people, they can just stab you in the back.

16. No matter how tough life can be, I still am luckier than more people in this planet. Some of them do not even get to eat nor study. So I might as well lessen my complaining.

17. The mind is powerful. So is the heart. God is sooooooooooooooooo good.

18. Ang buhay, parang ako—Maganda!!

Happy 19th birthday, self!!

***

Today, I placed 1st runner-up in the Mr. Journ competition. I was sooo close to bagging the crown but I know God has other plans for me. Congratulations, Val, for winning the Ms. Journ title!! I am very proud of you.

Smile naman d'yan!! God bless us all!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home